Friday, May 25, 2012

The Deal with Open Classes

I just realized that I should put a warning somewhere on my blog, but I'm not sure where to put it yet, so for the moment I'll write it here:

Potential ESL teachers – your Korean experience will probably differ quite extensively from mine.  Aside from vast differences amongst jobs here – pay, bosses, co-teachers, food, students, location etc., something that will really affect your time in Korea is your attitude.  And, to be honest, I'm a person who is almost obnoxiously positive (and laid back). Really.  I have to tone it down in social situations because it often comes across as not being empathetic – people want someone to commiserate with, not assure them of the silver lining.  You've probably met someone like me and are getting annoyed just thinking about him/her.  Don't worry, I'm not that bad.  I'm recovering slowly.  I even have tiring days now and then; I just bounce back really quickly and tend to forget about them.  The key is bad memory. And probably some sort of hormonal imbalance.  Whatever.    

All of that to say, I don't find Open Classes to be stressful at all.  But you might.  So I thought I'd share about them, as nobody warned me that they would be part of the job description before I came.

An open class is a class that is designated as special "viewing" class, and they happen a few times a year.  I've had two so far (I've been here three months); one for the Vice Principal to observe/evaluate, and one for parents to attend.  The third type of open class is for visiting teachers to watch and get ideas/be inspired by/stareyoudownforbeatingtheirschoolatvolleyball.

In the spirit of this blog, I've uploaded a video of my fifth graders practicing directions by orienting their blindfolded teammate.


The Deal with Open Classes in Korean Public Schools

1) Open Classes are the one event you are guaranteed to be given plenty of advanced warning for by your co-teacher.  I was told from week 1 that these would be taking place (and the general months they would occur), and I think I got at least two week's notice for the specific dates.  

2) They are considered a big deal.  Or, at least my co-teacher found them both extremely stressful and intimidating.  She's a new teacher (to the school and to the profession), so the nerves were partly based on inexperience, but I think that generally Open Classes are taken very seriously.  As they should be – nobody, in any country, is going to take an evaluation by bosses/customers (the parents) lightly.

3) You get to choose the class you want to be observed. (At least in my school you do.)  This meant that we were able to chose our darling fifth grade class that not only enjoys learning, but is fairly bright (students picking up quickly on concepts = reflection on my excellent teaching abilities), and extremely well-behaved.

4) The planning is more detailed for an Open Class.  You pick a game you know the kids will love, and carefully plan out the teaching switches; for example, when SH is confirming lesson objectives I will be setting up the powerpoint and know the exact moment when she will finish her lessons and I will start mine.  SH (my co-teacher) reminded me not to fold my arms and to praise the students for correct answers.  She was required to submit a lesson plan. 

5) If you are in a public school, you will get to practice the lesson on another class before doing it as an Open Class.  (And you can practice in Hogwans too. His description is quite different than my experience though.)  This is because you teach the same lesson several times a week to the different classes in the grade.  Getting to "practice" on the class before is invaluable for timing, jokes, and general smoothness.

6) The guests will come in and sit down at the back of the classroom (or wherever you stick them).  They don't participate.  Sometimes they have evaluation forms to fill out.  

So basically an Open Class is just a carefully planned lesson which feels a bit more like a performance than usual.  Our kids are only too eager to join in the facade, and they are much better behaved on these days.  As a teacher you will be expected to be fun, engaging, loud, and complimentary.  

They honestly aren't much different than my normal classes, except they run smoother because of extra prep, and the kids are more respectful.  I don't mind Open Classes at all.  But then, I grew up in theater, so I enjoy performing.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Web Hosting Coupons
.post img { }