Monday, March 26, 2012

The E2 Health Exam for English Teachers in Korea

The E2 Health Check.

What is it? In order to get your ARC (Alien Residence Card), and complete the legal requirements for the E2 visa (the one year visa given to foreign language instructors), you need to take a health exam upon arrival.  It's a pretty basic physical that took me about 25 minutes to complete.


Before the test:

- Fast. At certain locations, you will be required to fast for eight hours before taking the exam. I went to a hospital in Geumchon and they made me come back because I hadn't fasted.  When I returned and passed the exam, I fasted from food but not liquids.

- Don't take medication beforehand. Whatever you do, DON'T consume anything dodgy the night/week before.  Obviously don't do any drugs, but also DON'T take sleep medication the night before. The previous teacher at my school took sleep medication before her exam and had to pay to retake it.  Be careful.

- Bring your passport for the paperwork you will be required to fill out.


Where to do the Korean Health Exam: Take the Korean health exam at a hospital or designated medical center.  If you are teaching at a public school, your co-worker should accompany you to the hospital and help you with the forms/navigation of the process.

What's in the Korean E2 Health Check?

- A blood test. They stick a needle in your arm and draw blood for a minute or so.

- Measurement of height and weight. They did not measure my hips/chest/or anything but I have read of that happening.

- A urine sample. Which is why you should only fast from food beforehand:)

- An eye exam. Reading an eye chart, English letters.

- Blood pressure. Stick your arm in the squeezy machine. You know the one.

- Chest X-Ray. You change your top (privately) into a flimsy blue hospital one, and go into a room with a doctor, and take the X-Ray while wearing the blue shirt.

How much does the E2 Korean Health Check cost?

I paid 100,000 won (about 87 dollars), but I've heard you can get it for much cheaper. (I've also heard the cheaper prices have gone up significantly).  

Give me an overview of the experience.

On my first day of classes, my co-worker and I went straight from school – we actually left early (had to have the principal, vice principal, and head teacher sign off). You want to get the exam done ASAP because you need it for your ARC (which you need to get within 90 days of arrival, but sooner is better because it's helpful in getting a phone contract/bank account/Costco membership/etc., though you can open bank and phone accounts without it, you can't maintain them long term.) We were turned away because I hadn't fasted – nobody had told me, and it must vary by location because many teachers don't.


We left work early again the next week, and arrived at the hospital. I was new and disoriented, and let my co-worker take care of choosing the hospital (he drove me).  We were the only people at the counter for the health check. We were given some forms to fill out (the usual medical history type stuff), and then we walked around the hospital to each of the various stations (blood test, eye exam, etc.).  It was all very quick and efficient.

I paid 100,000 won and we drove back to the hospital a week later to pick up the results.  The school does not pay or chip in for the 100,000 won. However, if you are a returning NET, your health insurance should cover it.

1 comments:

eminsurance said...

Health insurance is necessary due to expensive medical treatments. Health insurance save your money and future, this is also a best option for saving money. Give a protection to your life with best and affordable health insurance plans, E2 Visa Health and Life insurance for best insurance plans in the Florida.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Web Hosting Coupons
.post img { }